Actress, author, and playwright Anna Deavere Smith performed at Teen Voices’ annual fundraising event, Amplify, on April 14. In this clip from her performance, she talks about a race riot that took place in Brooklyn’s Crown Heights, and portrays a Jewish woman who lives in the neighborhood. The message in this piece, Smith says, is that we can learn to solve problems when we collaborate, or “extend ourselves out from what we know.”
About Teen Voices
Teen Voices is an intensive journalism mentoring and leadership development program for teen girls in Boston. Our mission is to support and educate teen girls, amplify their voices, and create social change through media.
Through this program, and with submissions from girls around the world, the teens create an internationally distributed online and print magazine by, for, and about teen girls. Teen Voices is positive and empowering, and amplifies girls' real voices in a world filled with media focused on what girls look like—not what they think. Join us at teenvoices.com!
Get the Print Magazine!
- Seeking deep #emotional connections, girls in #fostercare are more likely to get pregnant. Read more @ womensenews.org/story/mental-h… 9 hours ago
- Calling all #girls: be part of the @teenvoices #BeHeard campaign & let the world know what matters to you @ teenvoiceswenews.tumblr.com/post/101263244… 10 hours ago
- #Teens argue that striving for #thighgap is a #problem & attracts the wrong attention. Find out why @ womensenews.org/my-body-not-tr… 10 hours ago
- #Feminism isn't just about getting yours, & it isn't about your individual #privilege, says, writer Cherise Smith @ womensenews.org/story/cultural… 13 hours ago
- In today's story @nicole_deniflee & Chandani Smith explore how #fostercare can add to the hardships that #girls face: womensenews.org/story/mental-h… 16 hours ago
What We're Talking Aboutactivism books bullying civil rights creativity culture depression and anxiety domestic violence eating disorders economy events fashion magazines girls' education health week healthy sexuality images of women in the media media studies music relationships self-esteem sexism sexual health social justice teen editors teen program teens teens making a difference Uncategorized violence against women women's rights
Search the Teen Voices Blog
- Baking, Photographing, and Writing with Lots of Passion: A Recipe for Success
- The Omega Institute: Offering Insights In Growing Up Female and Furthering Women’s Leadership
- The Bruises and Kisses Our Bodies Don’t Show: ACT Mannequin Art Project on Teen Dating Violence Prevention
- Are the 2012 London Olympics Discriminating Against Men?
- Getting the Facts on Single-Sex Spaces